Fire prevention is an essential part of practicing fire safety techniques. The major reason for the cause of house fires is usually attributed to cooking and often to cigarettes as well. The following are some of these safety tips from fire safety in Brisbane. These include:
- Always make sure not to leave the stove unattended especially when there is already something placed on the stove. It might burn and catch fire which could result in disaster.
- Children shouldn’t be left unsupervised in the kitchen, it is best to avoid having children use the stove altogether. If they want to it should always be done under adult supervision.
- Smoking should be avoided while in bed, the mattress might catch fire if a burning ash falls on it and you aren’t aware of it.
- All electrical appliances and cords should be checked on a yearly basis for faults. The fuse of the house must be maintained and the circuit breaker should be in proper working order.
- Also there should be proper fire safety equipment in your home. Something which could prevent a fire from spreading and casing undue harm and damage.
- Never leave a burning candle on especially before going to sleep or leaving your home.
- Always douse out a cigarette with water. The best thing to do in such a case is to smoke outside and douse of the cigarette when you are done.
Home fire safety equipment
In order to prevent a fire you need to have the proper fire safety equipment within your home. Some useful and important safety equipment includes:
- Smoke alarms can cut the risk of dying in a fire by almost seventy percent. The alarms would detect an abnormal amount. There is an option of installing hard wired interconnected alarms, with a battery backup present in every room of the home.
- It is also necessary to install smoke alarm outside every bedroom because release of smoke gases can sometimes cause heavier sleep.
- In order to prevent the occurrence of nuisance alarms, it’s necessary to keep the alarms free of cobwebs and dust.
- You should also have a fire extinguisher in your home. This can help douse out small fires and prevent them from spreading. However a fire cylinder is of different sizes. Though care must be taken that the extinguisher shouldn’t be too heavy for you and in case the fire doesn’t douse off it should be left alone and the focus should be on saving yourself and your loved ones by moving them to safety.
- Also make sure that each family member is aware of a fire escape plan and the plan should be practiced once at least six months.
Keeping all these things in mind can help prevent a fire or in case there is a fire it would help douse it off soon. However never attempt to douse a high risk fire on your own. In such a case its best to wait for help to arrive while you pull yourself and your loved ones out of the harm’s way.